THE FRAGILITY OF HOPE ...

THE FRAGILITY OF HOPE ...

For All My Dear M.E. Friends














Recently, a trip out - appointment with Consultant -
Effectively vertical for nearly three hours ...

This is way outside my orthostatic tolerance ...
So I needed to invoke my - non-existent - Superpowers! ...

At the time, I dared to hope that I had turned a corner ...
Was there slightly less nausea, slightly less pain? ...

But, 2 a.m. next morning, PEM* exploded ...
And I was left, wrecked ... bereft ...
Hope obliterated ... yet again ...

*  "Post-exertional malaise (PEM) is worsening of M.E. symptoms,  following even minor physical or mental exertion.  Symptoms typically worsen 12 to 48 hours after activity and last for days or weeks."  Malaise, (lit. "ill-at-ease) does not begin to describe it.... "collapse" a much better descriptor.


Ffion