P.E.M. AT 3 A.M.

P.E.M.* AT 3 A.M.

Severe M.E. Week, August 2022

Dedicated To All My Dear M.E. Friends 

















Shattered ...
Battered ... 

Shell-shocked ... 
Dazzled  ...

Detonated from sleep ...
By explosion in my brain.

Heat ...
Perspiration ...
Nausea ...
Pain ...

I lie quietly, tightly, 
Barely daring to breathe ...

Must minimise "activity" ...
Again??
Yes again!! ...

I long to live a life that is normal ...
Excitement and routine ...
Ups and downs ...
Good and bad ...

But I must lie quietly, 
Isolated in time ...

Life-denied ...
Soul-destroyed ...
Inexpressibly sad ...

*  "Post-exertional malaise (PEM) is the worsening of symptoms in M.E.,  following even minor physical or mental exertion.  Symptoms typically worsen 12 to 48 hours after activity and last for days or even weeks."

"Malaise", lit. "ill-at-ease", does not begin to describe it.... "collapse" a much better descriptor.

Ffion