BREAKDOWN

For Jeff, My Friend and Consulting Physician in California











I'm broken down, at the side of the road,
While mechanics meander by.
They tut a lot and mutter,
Or scratch their chins and sigh.

Some say: “It's the wiring”.
Some say: “Diesel bug....”.
Some say: “ No... distributor”.
Some say: “Needs a tug”.

Some say: "Shock absorbers.....
Have you had a shock?”
Some say: "Perhaps it's wear and tear.
How many miles on the clock?”

I was always turbo-charged,
Could go until I dropped.
Now I can't get going
For, when I do, I'm stopped.

I was able to go for miles,
On very little fuel.
As economical to run,
As a frugal little mule!

Always in excellent condition,
In all modesty, that's a fact.
My alloy wheels were gleaming,
And my chassis was intact.

I used to be all-terrain,
Working, utility and fun,
Now my powerful engine's rusty,
And my chrome trim's all undone.

My upholstery has broken springs,
My glossy paint-work's shabby.
My exhaust?  Totally exhausted!
I'm no better than a Trabi!

So, while everyone else is driving by,
I'm collapsed by the side of the road,
Waiting for the recovery van,
To be, ignominiously, towed.

Ffion