Me vs ME

For Raden, My M.E. Friend in Mississippi














“But I'm innocent”, I cried,
“I've committed no crime”.
“Don't care!”, sneered ME,
“You'll serve your time”.

“Is it possible,” I whispered,
“I could have bail?”
“No chance!”, snorted ME,
“You're going to jail”.

“How long is the sentence?
Do I get remission?”
“Don't know!”, snapped ME,
“You'll have to ask my permission”.

Whilst fearing the reply,
“Will I ever be free?” I cried.
“Don't care!”, shouted ME,
"At least you haven't died!”

“But I don't have a life,” I whimpered,
Tears beginning to flow.
“You've a house, food and warmth.
Many have less, you know”.

“No consolation,” I screamed.
“I want my life back.
 I want to LIVE!”
“Well, tough”, sneered ME,
“That's in my giving,
And I choose NOT to give”.

“Will you ever?” I asked fearfully.
“I really need to know.”
“Can't say”, snubbed ME, uncaringly,
“Maybe yes – or maybe no.

I'm tired of all your questions.
Just shut up and give it a rest!”

So I shut up, live from day to day cursed,
But pray one day I'll be blessed.

Ffion