FOR MIKE AND LOUISE

CURTAIN UP....

A Play in Three Acts








Act I

Mike and Louise are coming to visit,
A 4-5 hour round-trip.
I’m so looking forward to seeing them,
Despite inevitable post-visit dip.

As though for a military campaign,
I’ve been in training all week.
Conserving energy, no little walks,
So my bones are beginning to creak!

I’ve been resting, resting, resting…..
Though, today, I have been “busy”.
Showering and washing hair,
Which made me somewhat dizzy….

I see friends and family infrequently,
That’s as much as I can do.
I find it totally exhausting,
But, then, that's ME for you.....

So, tomorrow, I will …. rest again,
And then I’ll comb my hair.
It will be nice and clean and shiny,
So I’ll feel I’m half-way there!

And, then, I’ll put some make-up on
Because, no doubt about it,
Although I never usually bothered much,
I daren’t now be seen without it!

I’ll wear something in pastel shades,
And ear-rings in the shape of a flower.
A spritz of scent – and I’ll look and be
Almost normal – for an hour….

Then, just before they’re due to arrive,
I’ll pop a pain-killing pill.
That should see me through for an hour…..
At least I hope it will!

******

Act II

So, when Mike and Lou arrive,
They might say: “You do look well!”
I never know the correct response….
Should I say: “I feel like hell”??

No, it’s really best to say nothing….
Concentrate on my time on-stage,
A matinee performance –
They grow fewer as I age.

For about an hour, I’ll be the self
I was, “back in the day”.
I’ll be vibrant, chatty, witty….
And I’ll have a lot to say!

My performance will be worthy of
An Oscar or a BAFTA.
But, of course, that’s only on-stage,
No-one sees me after.*

(* except lovely hubby…)

*******

Act III

Post-performance, back to my dressing-room,
To collapse in an elegant (?!) heap.
And, then to drag myself on to my bed,
To have a much-needed sleep!

I’ll reflect on how lovely it is
To spend time with family and friends.
On how quickly the time passes,
And how sad it is when it ends.

After which, of course, I’ll ponder
When my next performance might be.
But, as you well know, that won’t be my choice,
It will be totally up to…. ME!
Ffion